How to check the trees after planting to confirm whether the seedlings are survived for garden
Almost all construction personnel know that seedling problems should be found and handled in a timely manner, but many construction units often find them after the seedlings wither and die. Here, we hope that the construction personnel can pay attention to the inspection after construction, find and solve problems as soon as possible, and improve the survival rate of seedlings.
- understand the situation of seedlings, whether there are seedlings, the size of mud ball, transportation time, planting season, etc.
- understand the earthwork, whether there is deep soil layer, pH value, soil compactness, whether there is ponding, etc.
- consciously push the tree rod by hand to see whether the mud ball is closely combined with the soil.
- check whether the planting is too deep or the surface of the mud ball is covered with too much soil, so as to avoid suffocation of the root system.
- check whether large trees are supported or whether the support is firm. In order to prevent the roots from loosening and separating from the soil, resulting in the death of trees.
- check whether the tree stems and branches are damaged or the pruning method is improper, so as to avoid bacteria pouring into the tree from the wound and causing the tree to weaken.
- observe the upper part of the tree to see if the leaves curl and wither or fall off abnormally. If so, check the root system by digging a hole in time to see if there is decay and to what extent, and then consider whether it can be saved. Because the quality of roots is the key to the survival of trees.
Key points: 1. Dig holes in time to see the root system in case of problems.
2、 Why is planting seedlings easy to die?
General construction personnel know that the survival rate of mountain seedlings is very low, but with the gradual reduction of large trees, especially the few large tree nurseries are hard to find, so mountain seedlings have to be used.
- due to environmental factors, most of the seedlings are straight roots, which rely on one or more taproots to grow downward for a long time. In case of transplantation, the taproot will be cut off, the water nutrients of the tree will be lost, the root pressure will be reduced, and the water nutrients in the soil will not be absorbed, resulting in death.
- the soil layer on the mountain is thin, and the survival competition among trees makes the roots of trees take root far away. If transplanted, there are few effective fibrous roots.
- generally, the growth environment on the mountain is good, with sufficient moisture, high humidity, good drainage, and the soil is more acidic, which is more suitable for the growth of seedlings. If transplanted, the seedlings cannot adapt to the environment of the planting site in time.
- the soil on the mountain is mostly mixed with stones, so it is very difficult to dig seedlings and hit mud balls.
- it is better to cut roots and prune tree crown half a year before transplantation.
- during seedling raising, pay attention to protect the integrity of the mud ball from damage. Pull up the thick root instead of cutting it off to ensure the loss of water and nutrients in the tree.
- do not cut off the thick root.
3、 Is it possible to plant trees out of season?
The construction unit knows that arbors are planted in summer. Due to the high temperature, the evaporation of seedlings is large, and the evaporation of the aboveground part is not proportional to the supply of the underground part, so the planting survival rate is low and the risk is high. However, sometimes, due to the requirements of Party A or the overall construction period, it is necessary to plant trees in the high temperature in summer.
- it is recommended to select container seedlings, root cut seedlings or transplanted seedlings.
- it is better to select the seedlings in the suburbs, raise them after the sun sets in the evening, transport them overnight, and plant them with the secondary settlement method and support them for fixation. The planting quality rather than quantity shall be emphasized during planting.
- after planting, shade shed shall be built, straw rope or hemp pieces shall be wrapped around the pole, and local spray can be carried out if possible to reduce the evaporation of water from the tree.
- select plants with high survival rate and evergreen trees.
- close combination of soil and clay ball.
- keep the mud balls and leaves as little as possible from direct sunlight.
4、 Why do trees with taproot die easily?
For some large-scale seedlings, such as Liquidambar formosana, there are few seedlings in the nursery, and there are many hills and mountains, so sometimes only mountain seedlings can be selected. Because most seedlings have straight roots, the main roots are often cut off during excavation, resulting in the loss of water nutrients and the reduction of root pressure, making the roots unable to absorb the water nutrients in the soil in time, resulting in the death of seedlings.
- refer to seedling transplantation.
- when raising seedlings, pay attention to protect the integrity of the mud ball from damage. Pull up the thick roots as much as possible. When planting, dig holes and pour soil to plant the roots.
- do not cut off the thick root.
- increase the mud ball thickness.
5、 Can big trees be transplanted with full crown and full leaf?
Almost all Party A hopes that the trees planted will retain the full crown and leaves without pruning, and will show good results after construction. In order to improve the survival rate and other factors in the actual construction, the seedlings will be pruned, unless specially cultivated seedlings. For example, in foreign countries, a tree with a diameter of 20cm at breast height can be transplanted in the form of container seedlings after 5-6 times of root cutting and transplanting from the small seedlings, directional pruning (removing the large branches to facilitate the shrinkage during transportation), so it can achieve full crown and full leaves no matter where it is transplanted.
- the nursery cultivates container seedlings, so that the seedlings can ensure their own good growth through the nutrients in the container.
- ensure that the clay balls of container seedlings are intact during transplantation.
- planting should be shallow, and the drainage and ventilation should be better, because container seedlings are mostly placed on the ground during cultivation, and the ventilation and drainage around them are good.
- there are many forms of container seedlings, including plastic containers, planting bags and non-woven bags. Brick cofferdam, etc.
- container seedlings with proper size of mud ball shall be cultivated in the nursery.
- ensure the integrity of the mud ball during transplantation.
6、 How to deal with bark and root damage?
When transplanting large trees, cranes or excavators are usually used for assistance. The traditional operation is to lift the tree rod with wire ropes and protectors or lift the tree rod and the mud ball at the same time. As the protective object is easy to fall off, the bark or root may be damaged by steel wire rope or machinery if you are not careful.
- because the bark is damaged, the nutrient transport between the cortex and xylem will be broken, which will affect the survival or growth of seedlings. Therefore, the bark should be protected from damage as far as possible. Prevention should be the main thing. A crane should be used instead of a steel wire rope, and hemp and bamboo chips should be used to wrap the tree stems.
- for the massive warping or partial falling off of the bark, it can be disinfected first, and the bark can be restored to its original state. The tree stem is injected with liquid for irrigation, and then bound and wrapped with straw rope or hemp pieces. The tree stem is injected with liquid for irrigation every other period of time, and disinfected again with a spray about a week.
- if the bark falls off completely, the wound shall be coated with patching agent, and then bound with straw rope or hemp pieces.
- if the root is damaged, the damaged root shall be trimmed first, and the wound shall be sealed with the wound patching agent to promote its healing and prevent the loss of nutrients.
- prevention first.
- timely handle and maintain.
7、 What if the mud ball is damaged?
Mud ball damage is a common problem during construction. Due to mud ball damage, the effective fibrous roots are damaged, the root pressure is reduced, and the water nutrients in the soil cannot be absorbed, affecting the survival rate.
- seedlings damaged by mud balls shall not be used as much as possible.
- if planting is necessary, try to keep the intact parts of the mud ball during lifting and moving.
- the soil of seedlings with damaged mud balls must be good, and the drainage of tree holes must be smooth, so as to create the best soil environment for the root system to promote new roots after planting. It is suggested that the secondary settlement method should be used for planting, the height of the covering soil should be better to restore the original height of the mud ball, and the diluted root irrigating liquid of plant vitality element should be used for irrigation.
- prune after planting, increase the amount of pruning, and seal the wound with wound sealant. The binding around the rod shall be careful. If possible, local spray can be carried out to improve the air humidity.
1 . Planting depth.
- good soil.
- firm support.
- whether bare roots are in 100% contact with soil.
- good drainage.
8、 How to prevent frostbite of trees in winter
Due to different habitats and habits, the low temperature tolerance of various seedlings is also different. Plants in southern China are more vulnerable to freezing injury. Although some plants will not die, they will affect the growth potential of seedlings.
- protective measures should be taken before winter. It is very important to wrap the tree stems, branches and leaves, especially the heart leaves. The mud balls should be covered conditionally to increase the ground temperature. Don't hurry to remove the package when the weather changes, so as to avoid frostbite in early spring.
- for trees and shrubs with large canopy shape, a shading net can be built to reduce the harm of cold wind. In addition, the branches and leaves can be sprayed with transpiration inhibitors to form a protective film on the branches and leaves, which can also play a certain anti freezing role.
- certain sawdust or organic matter can be mixed into the soil to increase the ground temperature.
- select plants with strong cold resistance.
- prevention first.
- variety selection.
9、 How to deal with the weakening of trees?
Construction personnel generally pay more attention to the observation of new trees. When the trees weaken, they should first check several vulnerable points in the construction.
- inspection of seedlings after planting.
- understand the situation of seedlings and whether they are suitable for the growth of the planting area.
- considering the surrounding environment, whether there are serious dust, dust, pollution and other problems.
- if there is a problem with trees, the leaves are only a phenomenon, and the root is the key. Therefore, observe the root system with the digging method, and then take measures according to the observation.
- it has certain effect to irrigate the root with activin root irrigation liquid.
- if there is a problem, dig a hole in time to see the root system.
- general problems are at the root and should be handled immediately.
10、 How to plant and fertilize street trees?
Most of the street trees have poor congenital conditions, small tree holes and poor soil quality. There is pavement or concrete around, which is easy to accumulate water.
- drill 1-4 deep holes with a depth of about 2m and a width of 5-10cm at the bottom of the tree hole, and pour perlite to solve the drainage problem of the tree hole.
- pay attention to the density of planting soil when planting. The soil density is high and it is not easy to accumulate water. Therefore, it is recommended to use the secondary settlement method for planting.
- there are many ways to apply fertilizer, i.e. drilling holes with steel drill and watering diluted root irrigating liquid of activin; Or drill a hole with a steel drill rod and inject high-efficiency fertilizer; Nail type compound fertilizer can also be used.
- no ponding, moderate soil density.
11、 How to deal with deep soil?
In order to ensure the good growth of seedlings, garden specifications have certain requirements for planting soil for greening, but deep soil is often encountered in construction due to various factors.
- due to poor aggregate structure of deep soil, it is not conducive to promoting new roots of seedlings. Generally, medium soil, perlite and peat are mixed for improvement.
- during planting, auxiliary materials shall be used as Cofferdam at 5cm outside the mud ball to make the mud ball closely combined with the planted soil, and then the auxiliary materials shall be extracted. But this method can only make the seedlings survive, and can not guarantee the future growth.
- deep soil is only used as the foundation bed for tree growth, and all planting layers are planted with planted soil.
- do a good job of drainage, such as deep drainage.
- ventilation; It is mainly the side and upper part of the mud ball.
12、 What about planting too deep or covering too much soil?
Too deep planting or too much soil covering often occur during construction. Due to the different natural depth of soil, the water permeability and aggregate structure are different. If the planting is too deep, the root system of the mud ball will be misaligned with the soil environment, which is easy to cause ponding or death from other causes; If too much soil is covered, it is very easy to cause root suffocation and death in the case of cohesive soil.
- if the planting is too deep, if it has just been planted, the excavation can still ensure the integrity of the mud ball, and it is recommended to replant 'if it has been planted for a period of time, it is recommended to reduce the terrain or make a ditch, lead the accumulated water to the edge, and drill a hole at 75 degrees at the side of the mud ball with a steel drill, so as to enhance the air permeability and permeability, and make the drainage smooth; In addition, perlite and non-woven fabric can be added to the upper part, and a small amount of soil can be covered.
- if the covering soil is too thick, remove the topsoil first. If it is necessary to cover with soil, add perlite or pebbles, cover with non-woven fabric, and then cover with soil.
- the root depth of trees before restoration may be slightly higher than the ground surface.
13、 Drainage and water conservation?
During the construction, we often encounter problems of seedlings due to ponding, especially the greening on the top of the garage, the greening on the roof and some arbors. However, in the northern and western regions, because there is no rain for a long time in a year, the water content in the soil can not meet the needs of plant growth, resulting in water shortage and death.
For ponding, the following can be used:
- trees shall be raised and planted.
- roof greening and garage roof greening shall be subject to drainage treatment.
- during terrain treatment, permeable pipes shall be set to connect with the sewer.
- tree hole as filtering layer
- deep drainage for street trees, etc.
For green planting in the north and West, the following methods can be adopted:
- use water retaining agent to maintain soil moisture. Generally, water retaining agent with expansion rate of about 100 is used.
- there is frozen soil layer in the north in winter, so the low planting method should be adopted. However, the surface of the mud ball should not be covered with more soil when it is just planted. Because the northern tree species have high requirements for air permeability, it should be properly covered with nutrient soil with good air permeability before freezing.
- due to different climates and different plant habits, measures should be taken according to the actual situation.
14、 What is the cause of partial death of patch shrub?
The survival rate of arbors is often paid attention to during construction, but in fact, shrubs also die, but they are ignored because their value is not as high as arbors.
- the acceptance of shrubs shall also be strictly controlled during purchase. The damaged mud balls shall be returned or planted in an inconspicuous position for the convenience of future maintenance.
- the terrain of the planting area should be full, preferably in the shape of steamed bread, which not only improves the three-dimensional sense and ornamental quality of the color block, but also avoids death due to ponding after planting (the terrain treatment is not necessary in the areas with dry seasons).
- when there are too many seedlings to be planted, the seedlings such as Ligustrum lucidum should be planted first.
- before planting, the soil shall be leveled as fine as possible, and then small tools shall be used instead of shovel. The seeds shall be planted according to the height of the plant soil ball, and then covered with soil and tamped. If the planting is too shallow, the soil ball will be exposed after rain, so it is not easy to keep water and die, but it cannot be too deep.
- pay attention to the control of density during planting to avoid death or poor growth due to over dense planting.
- take a good earth ball.
- the combination of soil ball and soil shall be carefully constructed according to the requirements of arbor planting.
15、 How to rejuvenate ancient and famous trees?
Ancient and famous trees are the historical witness of a city and have important humanistic and scientific values. Therefore, when ancient trees enter the old age and their growth turns into the slow and aging stage, they need to be rejuvenated.
- the simplest method - high pressure water gun to inject vitality diluent into the mud ball, which can rejuvenate the generally weak trees.
- for particularly weak trees, the following methods can be used:
- Understand the variety, growth status and site environment of trees, investigate the properties of soil, observe the external structure of trees, especially whether there are tree holes, and observe the root system by digging holes.
- Plastic pruning, removing the diseased branches and bare branches, and sealing with wound patching agent after pruning.
- Drill holes with steel drill, pour perlite, slow effect fertilizer, and pour active element to improve soil permeability and increase fertility.
- If there are tree holes, use branch surgery to solve the tree holes, that is, use special tools to remove the rotten substances in the holes, wash and disinfect with diluted actives, fill with charcoal with a particle size of 1cm mixed with wound patching agent, and seal the wound with wound patching agent.
- Remove the upper soil layer and replace it with organic soil. If about 5% sawdust is placed in winter construction, the root system can be kept warm.
- Root surgery solves the problem.
- symptomatic treatment.
We summarized our experience, made bold innovations, and translated a big tree with scientific construction.